This buffalo chickpea filling recipe is a great substitution for buffalo chicken fingers (a personal fave), with a lot less fat and a lot more fiber! I use this filling baked into taquitos, in wraps and sandwiches, or eaten straight out of the bowl! You can easily adjust the spice level to make it a great option for the entire family.
This buffalo chickpea filling is made from, you guessed it…chickpeas! The chickpeas are cooked with onion, tomato sauce and buffalo sauce for flavour with a dash of balsamic vinegar that adds a touch of sweetness. The result is mouthwatering and versatile.
I hope you love this buffalo chickpea filling! It’s:
- Slightly spicy
- & Delicious!
Some yummy suggestions for how to use this filling:
- Serve buffalo chickpea mixture on a whole wheat pita with shredded kale and ranch dressing
- Make buffalo chickpea taquitos by baking mixture in a corn or sprouted wheat tortilla wrap
- Add buffalo chickpea filling to a bun with cheddar cheese for an open-faced sandwich
- Replace buffalo chicken on a salad with buffalo chickpea filling
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Filling
This delicious buffalo chickpea filling can be used in so many different ways as an entrée or an appetizer. It comes together quickly, making it a great option for hectic weeknights or times you just don’t feel like cooking.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée, Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Stovetop, Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves (15g) of garlic, finely minced
- 1 can (540ml) of low sodium chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (240ml) of low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of Frank’s buffalo hot sauce *this can be adjusted for more/less spice
- 2 Tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sauté the onion in 1 Tbsp of oil in a large pan on medium high heat, until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic to the onions and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the can of chickpeas (drained), tomato sauce, buffalo sauce, balsamic vinegar, plant-based milk, garlic and onion powder and S&P to the onions and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When chickpeas are softened, roughly mash the entire mixture in the pan with a potato masher. Note: The mixture should be chunky rather than completely smooth
- Serve buffalo chickpea mixture as desired (see suggestions above)!
Buffalo Chickpea Taquitos
My absolute favourite way to eat this buffalo chickpea filling is baked into a taquito! Divide the mixture equally between 4 large corn/whole wheat tortillas or 8 small tortillas and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Roll the tortillas tightly. Brush exterior of the tortilla with a small amount of oil and bake in the oven at 400-degrees F for 15-minutes. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, chickpea, buffalo chickpea, recipe