What Does Magnesium Do?
- Has a role in muscle, nerve and bone health
- Has a role important biological processes including protein synthesis, energy metabolism and cell replication
- Helps keep your heart healthy by working with other minerals to control blood pressure
Interesting Facts About Magnesium:
- Low magnesium will reduce calcium absorption
- Magnesium can help reduce muscle cramping and restless legs because of its role in muscular contraction
- Magnesium can be taken as a natural sleep aid because of its soothing effect on the nervous and muscular systems
- Natural Calm magnesium citrate powder is a popular supplement. It contains magnesium citrate and acts as a great natural sleep aide. I substitute my evening herbal tea for 2 tsp in 1 cup of hot water a few nights per week!
What Foods are High in Magnesium?
- Beans & Legumes
- Nuts & Seeds
- Leafy greens
- Whole grains
How Much Magnesium Do You Need?
- Adults need between 310-420mg of magnesium daily depending on their age and gender
- It is fairly easy to consume adequate amounts of magnesium in your diet if you are focusing on including magnesium-rich foods every day
- Note: if you take a magnesium supplement, make sure you are not taking >350mg daily! Higher quantities of magnesium through food are safe