This is our go-to ‘special occasion meal’. Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas’s etc. Yes, when you are (mostly) plant-based it’s easiest to bring your own Christmas dinner. And really, who wouldn’t choose risotto over turkey? Maybe a lot of people, but I’m going for the risotto every time!
I have struggled for years to achieve enough richness with a completely vegan risotto – but this risotto is the creamy, savory risotto of my dreams, and it’s 100% plant based.
I hope you love this Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto! It’s:
- & Delicious!
Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto
This vegan instant pot mushroom risotto is the perfect special occasion meal that is easy and quick enough to make any day! Deliciously rich and creamy, just the way risotto should be!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée, Side
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter/margarine
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves (20g) of garlic, finely minced
- 454g (2 x 227 g package) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup vegan pesto
- 1/2 cup almond feta spread or parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional: truffle infused olive oil
- Turn on the ‘sauté’ function on your instant pot and add the butter, onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until onions turn translucent.
- Add rice to onion and garlic mixture and toast for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add wine to instant pot and simmer for 3 minutes. Add veggie broth and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Close and lock the lid. Make sure the venting knob is turned to sealing. Select high pressure and set timer for 6 minutes. Instant Pot will take several minutes to preheat prior to pressure cooking.
- While risotto is cooking, add the mushrooms and 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil to a large pan and sauté on medium-high for 8-10 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Note: mushrooms can be added to the Instant Pot after the onion and sautéed for 3-4 minutes prior to pressure cooking. I prefer to prepare the mushrooms separately on the stovetop, but either way works!
- Release pressure on Instant Pot when cooking is finished by turning valve to venting. Allow pressure to release for ~5 minutes before removing lid.
- Add pesto and almond feta spread (or parmesan) and stir risotto until it is well-combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Pro tip: drizzle with truffle oil – so tasty!
Note: substitute mushrooms with any sautéed veggie of your choosing with this recipe!
Almond feta spread ingredients:
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves raw garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend (gradually increasing speed from low to high) until smooth and creamy!
Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on calculations using specific products, and without optional ingredients. Calculations completed using parmesan cheese instead of almond feta and without truffle oil.
Keywords: mushroom risotto, vegan mushroom risotto, mushrooms, plant-based meals