Now that I have returned to work following maternity leave, my weekly meal prep is back to being an essential part of my weekly routine.
Here are five easy tips to help your weekly meal prep and planning a little easier, and hopefully a little bit less painful!
Tips to Help with Meal Prep and Planning
1. Try a meal planning app like Paprika Recipe Manager
- The app lets you store recipes, plan your weekly meals and generate a grocery shopping list
- Make sure to record new meals that you tried and loved
2. Invest in high quality storage containers
- Glass is better for microwaving than plastic!
- Pre-portion your lunches for the week to save time in the morning
3. Stock up on pantry essentials
- Legumes: black beans, lentils, chickpeas (canned or dry)
- Whole grains: whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, oats
- Canned goods: low sodium broth, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, artichokes
- Oils: olive, avocado, coconut
- Baking essentials: flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch
- Nuts & Seeds: peanut butter, almond butter, unsalted almonds & walnuts
4. Set a consistent time every week
- I dedicate Sunday mornings to planning out our meals for the week and grocery shopping, and I typically do meal prep for the week on Sunday afternoons